What was the Process used to collect survey data and how the survey was implemented?
Google Forms survey tool – Survey was distributed to learners by school email and then followed up in school messaging systems. Learners filled in the survey on school computers or using their cellphones.
What specific challenges did you come across when collecting survey data – challenges with teachers, children and parents.
Learners were fairly apathetic in filling in the survey , possibly because it was a bit long and it took some effort to complete. Finding time in the school day was difficult too. However if we didn’t find time then , not many would do it in their own time. Teachers were reasonably open to the idea , but didn’t want to give up much time in class. Two of the questions took most of the time. The GPS home question and the distance to school question . They used outside tools and where very necessary but caused the most frustration. If that could be streamlined it would be helpful.
Would you do anything different next time?
Shorter Survey , try to eliminate any questions which didn’t have any value , try to make the GPS and school distance questions easier to do on mobile phone. Don’t leave students to do it on their own time , rather squeeze dedicated slots into a day at school. Rotating learners through the school computer rooms is a helpful strategy if available.
Any tips that will help other schools in the future go through this process?
Buy in at school management level about dedicating the time in the school day to do the survey.
Problems learners had with regard to filling in survey
- Understanding some of the questions and some did not apply to me.
- I live at Waterloo Hostel so most of the questions didn’t apply to me.
- The option to add more than one location that you travel to and from.
- Some questions were unclear for me to understand.
- Trying to figure out what to do in the extra navigation links.
- I didn’t understand some of the questions.
- Some of the questions confused me.
- Consider the girls that dont go home after school and go to sport outside of school
- Some of the questions weren’t very clear and when I pressed the wrong button for whether I took a car, bus or taxi etc. and i tried to change it, it wouldn’t allow me to.
Earlier Articles in the Series