Recently I came across an awesome tool that google released to assist in creating the world’s largest doodling data set of common objects. I used it in my weekly ICT lesson with Grade 8’s & 9’s and was surprised by how much they enjoyed it. We also managed to have a brief discussion of what a neural network is and how researchers are trying to use them to teach computers to recognise common objects.
Neural Network – “A computer system modelled on the human brain and nervous system.”
Outline of Lesson
- Begin the lesson by asking the class if they know what a neural network is?
- They probably wont, then ask if they have ever heard of AI?
- Most will have, and some will even want to tell an interesting story about what they’ve heard.
- Explain how one of the challenges for AI is getting computers to recognise common objects.
- One type of solution is to have a massive human generated Database to compare things to.
- And today we are going to make our contribution to that Database.
- Begin use of Google’s Doodling Tool
- The learners normally enjoy using the Tool for at least 30 min.
If you feel like you could offer any suggestions for improving this lesson , please leave a comment.